Soren Stamer twitter.com/heartnsoul
Soren is a German entrepreneur who has applied the theory of Darwinism to business and the Internet. Darwinism is based on life without a creator and so life must continually evolve.
Soren believes that MASSIVE networking, such as what we are now seeing online, drives CHANGE. Our world is massively connected on global level leading to these consequences:
1. Increasing dynamics – life cycles are shorter. 6000 days of web life has changed world incredibly
2. Rising complexity – makes it impossible to predict, so better to stay AGILE
3. Increasing transparency – we know more and more about everything.
4. Global synchronisation – this is first globally synchronised recession. It creates opportunities too.
5. Collectively we are smarter
6. Abundance of options – declining GDP & explosion of services. Scarcity of attention.
How deep is the impact of all this? In short, it is leading to fundamental change in our society. Soren says that the only thing we can now expect is the unexpected.
So what do you do as a business owner in this environment?
10 useful patterns & how to exploit them:
Websites evolve: Content is king no longer. its now engaging people.
1. Empower your community and have a tribe, Like Harley Davidson.
Feedback loops rule
2. Engage in conversations. I.e. Cluetrain Manifesto, razortv.com in Singapore
Emotions connect us: ore than semantic web, emotional web
3. Be personal I.e. Oprah does it
Virility is power
4. Make your ideas more contagious I.e. sonic lighter app on iPhone
Personal resonance counts (like the iPhone, its personally adaptive with apps etc)
5. Use established paradigms – don’t try to bring new paradigms
Open and focused Wins (Amazon is example – focused on biggest selection products and great customer convenience. Let competitors get involved in their platform)
6. Open up and do less – Twitter great example. They’re simple but others can create around it.
Evolution is hard to predict
7. Let it go – stop controlling future. Lose hierarchy. I.e. Facebook growth when they opened up to developers with their API
People pay for attention
8. Provide ways to earn attention – I.e. the “I am rich” iPhone app or Yelp.com ratings
The web without websites. Staring to hide behind widgets and apps. Less visible web.
9.Enable multiple touch points for your services. Go where the people are. I.e. Facebook, Twitter, iPhone apps etc
Making money because of…. Google make money BECAUSE of search rather than from search. Hard to charge for a service in future without way of getting them in first
10. Find smart ways to offer a great service for free, I.e. Ryan-air in Europe, Skype.
Suggested revenue models? Don’t create scarcity and push people to pay us in the future. Ad model not necessarily right in future. You can exchange value without money online.
What about web video? Video is great because its so emotional. It will be the future of web communication.
Outlook on newspapers and mags going out of biz, where does this take journalism? We need journalism still but don’t think paper is good for it in future. Still coming up with online model for the content providers. You can no longer fight idea that information is free. Charging for online info is hard.