“The magnitude of upcoming change will be stunning” – Mary Meeker
Stats guru and analyst Mary Meeker, a partner at Kleiner Perkins Caulfield and Byers, has just published her latest report filled with amazingly useful data, the “2012 Internet Trends Year-End Update.”
Some highlights include:
- 2.4 billion Internet users worldwide, a number that’s still growing eight percent yearly.
- There are 1.1 billion smartphone subscribers worldwide — but that’s still just 17 percent of the global cellphone market.
- 29 percent of adults in the U.S. now own either a tablet or an e-reader.
- Mobile devices now account for 13 percent of worldwide Internet traffic, up from 4 percent in 2010.
- Mobile app and advertising revenue has grown at an annual rate of 129 percent since 2008, and now tops $19 billion.
- Mobile traffic app Waze has been adding users faster than all GPS makers combined have sold personal navigation units, and it’s been that way since the beginning of 2012.
Meeker’s spells out how these device and connectivity trends are leading to the complete re-imagination of everything from encyclopedias to money itself. And as slide 58 says….”the magnitude of upcoming change will be stunning – we are still in Spring training”.