Week ending October 17
Source: David Dale, Sun Herald Blogs
In a rare moment of full and frank disclosure, Channel Nine has released a rundown of how the stations have been attracting audiences this year. In the course of that report, Nine also reveals the name of the new digital station which Seven intends to launch in November. Apparently it will be called TBA. Here is the essence of Nine’s roundup …
Prime time audience shares for the week ending October 17: SBS1 5.1 per cent, SBS2 0.4; ABC2 15.9, ABC1 1.2; Ten 20.2, ONE 1.6; Nine 24.1, GO 2.4; Seven 29.0, TBA 0.0.
Prime time audience shares for the ratings year so far:
SBS 1&2 5.9
ABC 1&2 17.0
Ten & ONE 22.7
Nine & GO 26.6
Seven & TBA 27.8.BUT for the year so far, Nine has the biggest share of viewers aged 25-54 and Ten has the biggest share of viewers aged 16-39.
Of course, all the percentages above are shares of free to air viewing. The numbers reduce if you include Pay TV in the mix. Across the mainland capitals each week, about 20 per cent of all viewing is to subscription channels. The shares above are shares of the other 80 per cent. This was Pay’s account of itself for the week:
“The FOX Sports’ coverage of the Asian Cup qualifier, Live: Football: AFC Asian Cup Qualifier Aus v Oman topped the week on subscription TV with 248,000 viewers. Live: Football: A-League Adel v Sydney was watched by 73,000, Live: Football: EPL A Villa v Chelsea was seen by 68,000 and Live: Cricket: Ford Ranger Cup was seen by 68,000 people (all on FOX Sports).
“New Zealand’s Next Top Model premiered on FOX8 with 111,000 viewers, NCIS on TV1 was watched by 99,000 people, Stargate: Universe on Sci Fi was seen by 90,000 and Grand Designs on Lifestyle was viewed by 87,000 people. Doc Martin on UKTV had its biggest audience of the year so far with 81,000 viewers, Law & Order on W was watched by 76,000 and 71,000 people saw Dora the Explorer on Nick Jr.
“In week 42, STV channels represented 20.6% of all metropolitan viewing between 6am and midnight, 19.6% of all regional viewing and 55.1% of all viewing in subscription TV homes.”
What viewers aged over 55 watched:
1 SEVEN NEWS – SUN Seven 766,000
2 SEVEN NEWS Seven 735,000
3 ABC NEWS-SU ABC1 732,000
4 ABC NEWS-SA ABC1 720,000
5 FOUR CORNERS ABC1 683,000
6 LAST CHANCE SURGERY Seven 677,000
7 TODAY TONIGHT Seven 676,000
8 AUSTRALIAN STORY ABC1 672,000
9 PACKED TO THE RAFTERS Seven 672,000
10 RSPCA ANIMAL RESCUE Seven 668,000
11 SEVEN NEWS – SAT Seven 656,000
12 JONATHAN CREEK: THE GRINNING MAN ABC1 652,000
13 ABC NEWS ABC1 635,000
14 BETTER HOMES AND GARDENS Seven 630,000
15 BORDER SECURITY Seven 626,000