Characteristics of new digital media and music environment:
Agile – able to move quickly to develop, produce & release
Independent – no longer controlled by traditional owners
Interruptive – whole industries being radically reinvented or fragmented. Rather than be protectionist we must embrace this otherwise we will be left behind.
Collaborative – clusters, crowd sourcing, geographically diverse
Fresh content – amazing amount of new, fresh content every day which can be organized and curated.
Fluid transactions – push button downloads for apps, music, books, TV shows & movies. New commerce models ie Facebook credits for content.
Issues and Needs for Australia
– Hi speed broadband required to keep pace with rest of world
– Better fostering of innovation – funding, tech VC market (tax incentives?)
– Digital Education – both business and students. Greater emphasis on modern digital practices. (NLYZR study). Strongly question whether current tertiary education is preparing people for the digital economy.
– Celebration of success – plenty of talent and up & coming media & music stories that need to be told. We’ve been proposing a leading event…like sxsw. But needs support and funding.
– Intellectual Property laws and processes are archaic and barely viable for current fast moving digital environment. We require a very different approach to licensing, IP, property “rights” and other elements of the underlying framework.
– Retaining talent in Australia – Oz mafia in Silicon Valley, moving where things happen.
– Overall need to decrease friction and roadblocks to enable rapid delivery of content and transactions.
Rather than laws to protect old establishment industries, new laws to enable creation of new business & industries.