Let’s face it, the face of marketing has totally changed over the last decade. We have moved on from an era when broadcast media ruled the marketing world and all you had to do to reach potential customers was run a TV schedule or place some ads in the paper or on the radio or perhaps whack a big message up on a billboard. Now your customers are in charge of the media they consume and prefer to find what they need through online search and social endorsement or recommendation than be advertised to.
We are now in the era of inbound marketing where providing solutions and relevant information is a more effective way to attract potential customers. It is now incumbent upon us to build relationships and trust first.
The new marketing paradigm is tricky but it can also be extremely rewarding for organisations that get it right. I’ve seen dozens of companies totally transform their marketing and results over the last few years by adopting a holistic marketing strategy. They’ve combined intelligent web design with clever search engine optimisation, mixed in social media and tweaked conversion funnels to achieve exceptional results.
Its the whole theory behind my agency’s new 360 Degree Digital Marketing Strategy.(<- click on the link for more information)
Yep, the world of marketing has changed. Here are another 27 reasons why you need a professional digital marketing strategy:
1. 85% of internet users have Facebook accounts; 49% are on Twitter
2. 74% of internet users use Facebook daily; 35% use Twitter daily
3. 19% of people follow a brand on Twitter
4. 39% of people have tweeted about a brand on Twitter
5. 58% of Facebook users have liked a brand on Facebook
6. 42% of people have mentioned a brand in a Facebook status update
7. 50% more people say their brand mentions in Facebook status updates are only positive (versus negative or mixed)
8. 80% of people prefer to get coupons, promos, and discounts from brands in social media
10. 84% of 25-34-year-olds have left a favorite website because of intrusive or irrelevant advertising.
11. 86% of people skip television ads
12. 44% of direct mail is never opened
13. The average budget spent on company blogs and social media has nearly doubled in the last 2 years.
14. 57% of businesses have acquired a customer through their company blog.
15. 42% of businesses have acquired a customer through Twitter.
16. 67% of B2C companies and 41% of B2B companies have acquired a customer through Facebook.
17. 57% of companies have acquired a customer through LinkedIn.
18. Inbound marketing costs 62% less per lead than traditional outbound marketing.
(source: Voltier Digital)
19. Australians will spend more than $13 billion online this year
20. 50% of shoppers spend 75% of their total shopping time conducting online research
21. Over 90% of shoppers start their online research using a search engine
22. Yet….87% of Australian websites have substandard SEO
23. …and 29% have no SEO at all
24. Australian and New Zealand marketers are lagging behind their international counterparts when it comes to technology savviness and social media expertise.
25. Australian and New Zealand Marketing Officers rank well below the global average for social media expertise
26. Australian and New Zealand CMOs feel less prepared to deal with issues such as Growth in Channel and Device Choices and Customer Collaboration and Influence
27. Australian and New Zealand CMOs are still relying more on old research and focus groups than they are on real-time customer feedback
(source: IBM Global CMO Study)
So the question is….what is your organisation doing to adapt to such significant change in consumer habits and marketing technology? Do you have a digital marketing strategy yet?